Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tribute to Frank McCourt

I recently participated in a tribute to the late Frank McCourt, Irish American author, at The Book Stall in Winnetka, IL. I had previously read the book, Angela's Ashes. I read it again to select excerpts to share with the audience. I rarely have the time or energy to read the same book twice, as there are so many new books from which to choose. What I discovered is that I am in a very different place from the time I first read this book, so my life experiences colored the lens through which I looked. Also, some passages really popped in light of the fact that Frank is now dead. Isn't this a mysterious and lovely part of the wonder of reading? You weave in the author's intimate thoughts with your life experiences.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home